Nancy Morgan, American Promise
Welcome Brian Johns, Executive Director of Virginia Organizing.
Virginia Organizing is a non-partisan statewide grassroots organization dedicated to challenging injustice by empowering people in local communities to address issues that affect the quality of their lives. Virginia Organizing especially encourages the participation of those who have traditionally had little or no voice in our society. They have 16 chapters around the state.
I've taken the liberty of downloading their legislative priorities for the 2020 General Assembly (see below).
2020 General Assembly Legislative Priorities
January 3, 2020
● Fair Energy Bills Act: Restore the State Corporation Commission’s full traditional regulatory powers over Dominion Power, resulting in refunds and lowered rates where Virginians have been overcharged.
● Just Transition: Prioritize equity for communities that are most directly impacted by climate change. Low-income communities and communities of color must be at the center of any transition to renewable energy sources.
● Pipelines: Oppose the expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure projects, specifically the Atlantic Coast Pipeline and Mountain Valley Pipeline.
● Departmental Policies: Require all state departments to develop policies to guide the work of their agencies with a racial, economic, and environmental justice lens, including plans for input by directly affected community members.
● Driver’s Licenses: Provide opportunity for training and receipt of non-real ID driver’s license to all Virginians regardless of immigration status.
● In-state Tuition: Provide for in-state costs for all undocumented residents.
● Disorderly Conduct: Decriminalize disorderly conduct for students in school setting.
● School Resource Officers: Provide appropriate training for School Resource Officers.
Virginia Organizing is a non-partisan statewide grassroots organization dedicated to challenging injustice by empowering people in local communities to address issues that affect the quality of their lives.
Virginia Organizing Also Supports…
Criminal Justice Reform
● Right to Vote: Support a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to vote.
● Driver’s Licenses: Stop suspending driver’s licenses for unpaid child support.
● Junk Plans: Oppose expansion of Association and Short-Term, Limited-Duration health insurance plans that do not meet minimum Affordable Care Act standards.
● Protect all state workers from employment discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital status, veterans’ status, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation.
● Predatory Lending: Protect Virginians from predatory lending practices. Regulate internet lending and open-end credit.
● EITC: Support a refundable Earned Income Tax Credit.
● Minimum Wage: Increase the minimum wage in Virginia to $15 per hour.
● Lifetime Ban: Eliminate the lifetime ban on TANF benefits for individuals convicted of felony drug crimes just as Virginia eliminated a similar ban on SNAP benefits.
● Support passage of the Equal Rights Amendment.
● Eliminate the death penalty and provide for lifetime imprisonment without parole.
For more information, contact Nik Belanger, Organizing Director, at 434-709-4953 or nik.belanger@... or Brian Johns, Executive Director, at 276-619-1920 or bjohns@....