Topics

Virginia Grassroots Coalition Announces Press Conference (Jan 9th)

Nancy Morgan, American Promise

They included the bills on banning contributions from state-regulated monopolies.  The Coalition asked us to prioritize 4 campaign finance bills and share them with talking points on January 11th.

CONTACT
Luisa Boyarski
(412) 901-9013

Virginia Grassroots Coalition joins with patrons to highlight legislative priorities Coalition to host Jan. 9 press conference at State Capital

WHAT: The Virginia Grassroots Coalition is calling on the Virginia Senate and House of Delegates to take action on several specific bills the coalition’s membership urges the General Assembly to pass in 2020. The Coalition, joined by several members of the House and Senate, is hosting a news conference on Thursday, Jan. 9 to highlight these priorities.

Representing more than 10,000 Virginia voters, the Coalition’s four main priorities for the 2020 General Assembly session are to:
• Create safe and environmentally healthy communities for all Virginians
• Promote equity and human rights of all Virginia residents
• Invest in our economic future by supporting our students, workers and families
• Promote fairness and transparency in our elections and politics

Joining with the Virginia Grassroots Coalition are:
● Sen. Chap Peterson and Del. Josh Cole patrons of bills on Campaign Finance Reform (SB 25 and HB 111 respectively)
● Del. Kenneth Plum patron of a bill on Universal Background Checks (HB 2)
● Del. Kaye Kory patron of a bill on Reproductive Rights (SB 68)
● Del. Joseph Lindsey patron of a bill on Criminal Justice Reform (HB 100)
● Del. Lee Carter patron of a bill on Repealing the Right to Work (HB 153)
● Luisa Boyarski, leader of the Virginia Grassroots Coalition and other coalition representatives

WHEN AND WHERE: Thursday, Jan. 9, from 10:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. at the House Briefing Room, Pocahontas Building, 900 East Main Street, Richmond, VA 23219

About the Virginia Grassroots Coalition
The Virginia Grassroots Coalition, formed in April 2017, is made up of more than 40 Indivisible, Swing Left, Huddle, Our Revolution, and other groups, representing more than 10,000 Virginia voters. Coalition members have been involved in Virginia elections for the past three years. As a Coalition we developed a progressive legislative agenda for 2020. As a group of engaged and committed Virginia voters, we are asking the General Assembly to pass bills supporting our agenda.
On Nov. 26, 2019, the Coalition sent a letter to legislators listing its top legislative priorities, found here: https://www.virginiagrassroots.org/ We will follow up with a second letter on Monday, Jan. 13, 2020, highlighting these and other specific bills we urge lawmakers to pass.

Bring your brigade to the
at 9:30am