Topics

Updated Event: POSTPONED: New Voters, New Districts: A Young People's Town Hall - Thursday, 4 June 2020 #cal-invite

main@VirginiaSwampBusters.groups.io Calendar <main@...>

POSTPONED: New Voters, New Districts: A Young People's Town Hall

When:
Thursday, 4 June 2020
5:00pm to 6:30pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Organizer: Daela Taeoali-Tipton daela.tipton@... 8018080759

Due to the current political climate, OneVirginia2021 and the Greater Good Initiative have decided to postpone tonight's event with a tentative rescheduling for the end of June. While gerrymandering and institutional racism are inextricable, we do not want to detract from the current focus on police brutality and systemic racism pervasive in our country. However, we believe this event will be a valuable addition to this conversation in the future. Please stay tuned for further details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Voters, New Districts: A Young People’s Town Hall is a live, online event hosted by
OneVirginia2021 and The Greater Good Initiative to engage young voters on the issue of gerrymandering. Gerrymandering, the intentional manipulation of legislative districts for political gain, undercuts the foundation of our representative democracy - voter power. When districts are drawn to protect politicians instead of represent the people, our ability to hold elected officials accountable is compromised. There are so many issues deserving of our time, attention, and advocacy, and redistricting reform underpins them all. By ending gerrymandering, we empower our voices by empowering our votes. When our votes matter, legislators are forced to address all the other issues we care about.

Reforming the redistricting process is especially important for young voters now because legislative districts are only drawn once every ten years following the Census. The districts that will be drawn in 2021 will determine politics for the next decade. To truly have a say in our future, we need to have a say in our districts. In Virginia, there’s a constitutional amendment on the 2020 ballot to establish Virginia’s first-ever citizen-led, bipartisan redistricting commission. This is a historic opportunity to increase voter power, and the support of young people is critical. Join us on June 4th at 5:00 PM (EST) to learn more about the current fight for redistricting reform in Virginia, and across the country, and how you can make a difference.

We will be hearing from an exciting panel of experts, public officials, and young changemakers on their perspectives on this important issue. Joining the panel will be:

Brian Cannon, Executive Director of OneVirginia2021

Del. Dan Helmer, Democratic Delegate HD-40

Sen. Jill Vogel, Republican Senator SD-27

Adam Ashley, Co-Founder and President of the Greater Good Initiative

Jasmine Jones, Organizing Director of Rock the Vote

Hannah Knittig, Virginia State Director of Generation Ratify and Creative Director for Youth Climate Strike

Most importantly, we want to hear from young change-makers about the issues you're passionate about, and discuss how we can work together to advance a better world by ending gerrymandering. Can you make it? RSVP here: bit.ly/youngpeoplestownhall