Topics

Upcoming events: the NOVA grassroots coalition #upcomingevents

Nancy Morgan, American Promise

Luisa Boyarski

7:33 PM (4 hours ago)

to Luisa, bcc: me

Dear Grassroots Group Leaders,

Thank you all for participating in our 2020 kickoff coalition meeting yesterday!  Also, a special thanks to Senator Warner, Delegate Carroll Foy and Delegate Samirah for joining us, sharing their policy priorities and answering our manyquestions.

The meeting notes can be found here:

ASK: Please share our press advisory on social media and encourage you members to attend the press conference on January 9th!
Below are many upcoming events.  Do not forget that you can send me Calls to Action to share with the coalition during the legislative session.

See you in Richmond!

Luisa

PS - Watch tonight at 9pm on WETA HDTV or stream on PBS "The Democracy Rebellion: A Reporter's Notebook," with Hedrick Smith. Journalist Hedrick Smith searches for positive stories of democratic reform, finding them in six states where grassroots activists strive to level the playing field.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Tuesday, January 7th, 8:00pm
Progress Virginia Legislative Priorities Webinar
Tons of bills are proposed every year during the General Assembly. Find out which bills Progress Virginia is focusing on getting passed during our Legislative Priorities email on January 7.
RSVP here

Wednesday, January 8th, 8:00am
Coffee Kickoff to 2020 General Assembly
Join Network NoVA us for a very informal coffee/breakfast at Reuger's, across the GA dugout. FB event, no RSVP needed.

Wednesday, January 8th, 10:30am - 4:00pm
VA Ratify ERA - Second Annual Welcome Back Celebration
Join us as we welcome the General Assembly back on the first day of the 2020 session.  We’ll start with a pep rally, then some will attend session, and end the day with a Party for Parity.
  • 10:30-11:30  Pep Rally in front of the Capitol Building
  • 12:00  Session begins
  • 2:00-4:00  Party for Parity
Transportation - We are arranging buses from the following locations in Virginia.  Alexandria, Arlington, Charlottesville, Chesapeake, Christiansburg, Fredericksburg, Lynchburg, Norfolk, Petersburg, Roanoke, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, and Williamsburg.

Wednesday, January 8th, 10:00am - 11:00am
Green New Deal VA | 2020 Opening Day Rally
Join us on Wednesday, January 8, 2020 as we welcome the General Assembly back on the first day of the 2020 session. We’ll start at 10:00am with a pep rally with our Green New Deal Virginia Champions and Coalition Partners, then move on to support our allies in their endeavors around Capital Square. Plan to arrive early - There are many events planned around the Capital on Wednesday - parking will be a challenge!
Location: Bell Tower on Capitol Square, 101 N 9th St, Richmond, Virginia 23219

Wednesday, January 8th, 2:30pm
#MonumentalJustice Rally
Take 'Em Down Cville is planning a General Assembly opening day Capitol Building Plaza. We invite you to join and help us spread the word! We need attendance and support from Virginians of as many regions of the state as possible in order to push for localities to be able to make their own decisions about confederate statues.

For more information, email Ken: kenvhorne@...

Wednesday, January 8th 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Warren for ERA Happy Hour

This event is to celebrate and promote Warren’s support for the Equal Rights Amendment amongst the strong activist women who fought to elect the officials that would ratify it, thus flipping Virginia in the Process! Join us for a community event supporting Elizabeth Warren for President. We’ll be gathering to talk about Elizabeth’s vision for real, structural change in this country. Come learn about how you can get involved with Team Warren! All are welcome at this event.
Location: Capital Ale House, 623 E Main St, Richmond, VA 23219
RSVP here.

Thursday, January 9th, 10:00am (meet early at 8:30am)
Virginia Grassroots Coalition Press Conference in Richmond
Join coalition member and legislators to discuss priority issues and bills for the 2020 legislative session. 8:30am - 9:30am Meet grassroots activists at the Reuters Restaurant at the Commonwealth Hotel (901 Bank St, Richmond, VA 23219) for coffee and press conference planning. 9:30am Walk to the briefing room.
Location: 900 East Main Street, House Briefing Room, Pocahontas Building, Richmond, VA, 23219

Sunday, January 12th APPLICATION DEADLINE!

Attn: Young People Ages 13 - 26 Learn How to Lobby!

Join Brady’s “Team ENOUGH” Lobbying Collective:“We train students and young people who are high school  and college age (ages 13-26) on how to effectively lobby legislators in their state capitols. We'll teach you the skills you need to be effective, and then together, we'll get loud in the halls of power!”

Sign-up: Team ENOUGH Youth Lobbying Collective

Monday, January 13th, 8:30am
Virginia Needs a Green New Deal!
The time for bold climate action in Virginia is NOW! Join Sunrise Movement hubs from across the state and allies to take action in support of the Green New Deal Act (HB77)!
Do you wish Virginia would...
1) Place a moratorium on ALL new fossil fuel infrastructure?
2) Issue a JUST transition towards a renewable energy economy -- one that is centered around workers and frontline communities??
3) Create thousands of well-paying union jobs in the process??
Then join us in Richmond on January 13th!

Monday, January 13th, 8:00am - 4:00pm

Reproductive Rights Lobby Day

Make your voice heard by joining NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia, and our progressive coalition partners on Monday, January 13 at the State Capitol in Richmond, Virginia.  On the day of Lobby Day, we’ll provide you with training and materials before heading into our meetings with elected officials. Together we will share our stories and let our legislators know that the overwhelming majority of Virginians, 7 in 10, support access to safe and legal abortion, and with Roe v. Wade under threat at the Supreme Court, the time for Virginia legislators to act is now!

RSVP here

Monday, January 13th
Family Friendly Economy Lobby Day

Tuesday, January 14th, 7:30am - 2:00pm
Virginia Grassroots Climate Lobby Day
The Virginia Grassroots Coalition, CCAN Action Fund, Sierra Club and other partners are joining forces to put on the biggest grassroots climate lobby day and rally that your legislature has ever seen - and we need you there!
Coffee, snacks and lunch provided. Limited number of $10 tickets available.
Location: St. Paul’s Episcopal Church: 815 E Grace St Richmond, VA 23219

Tuesday, January 14th, Noon
Lobby Day @ Mark Warner's Tysons Office
8000 Towers Crescent Dr.
Political discussion and chance to talk to Senate Staffers about your concerns/asks for the Senator. (This group meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month. )

Thursday, January 16th, 8:30am - 3:00pm
VACOLAO – 2020 VIRGINIA LATINO/IMMIGRANT ADVOCACY DAY
Join the Virginia Coalition of Latino Organizations (VACOLAO)’s 2020 Immigrant Advocacy Day to meet with elected representatives and advocate for legislation and issues important to Virginia’s immigrant communities. One of the top priorities of VACOLAO’s legislative agenda is Driver’s License Access for all immigrants in Virginia. (We will provide light breakfast and lunch). Transportation available from Falls Church. It will leave from 6066 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA 22041 at 6:30am that morning. Please arrive by 6:15am. We will be returning to northern Virginia at 5:00pm.
Contact us at vacolao@... or by phone at 703-772-1555.
RSVP here

Friday, January 17th, 8:00am
Justice Reform 2020 Lobby Day
All Day, training starting at around 8:00AM
Location: Meeting Room TBD but likely in the office building of the public defender for Richmond

Saturday, January 18, 8:30am
2020 Women's March
VADF has a bus to and from McLean (on the N. Arlington border) going down to the 4th Women's March on the Mall in DC. Currently, there are 20 remaining open seats out of 56 total. Leave Chesterbrook Shopping Center (6244 Old Dominion Dr, where it hits Kirby Rd) at approx 8:30am and return by 3:00pm (or earlier). $25 - $30 per person on heated bus with bathroom, WiFi, power outlets, etc. To reserve a seat(s) on the bus, contact Lori Boerner at loriboerner@....

Saturday, January 18th, 9:30am
Badass Brigade for the Women's March 2020
In celebration of 100 years of Women's Suffrage, Virginia's upcoming ratification of the ERA and Virginia flipping blue!, bring your brigade to the Carousel on the National Mall at 9:30am on January 18, 2020. The Virginia delegation will meet at 9:30am with confirmed BADASSes: Virginia Delegate Hala Ayala, Prince William County Chair Phyllis Randall, Ellie Smeal of Feminist Majority and Kati Hornung of VARatifyERA
We will have a Happy Afternoon at 3pm in Lake Barcroft.
Monday, January 20th  2:00pm - 4:30pm

Gun Lobby Day

Martin Luther King, Jr Day in Richmond!

Join Gun Safety activists from throughout VA as we convene to remember those affected by Gun Violence and then move on to check in with our legislators. There will be transportation from various points in Virginia.
For more information and to RSVP for transportation: https://www.facebook.com/events/1429375550573602/

Monday, January 27th
Lobby Day for Repeal Right to Work

Tuesday, January 28th
Lobby Day for Campaign Finance Reform

Wednesday, January 29th, 10:00am
Lobby Day for Medical Aid in Dying
Join the Northern Virginia Action Team of Compassion & Choices for our lobby day. Medical aid in dying refers to the practice of a terminally ill patient requesting a prescription from a physician that the patient can choose to ingest to bring about a peaceful death. Del. Kaye Kory will introduce legislation in the upcoming General Assembly session to legalize medical aid in dying in Virginia. The more people who participate in Lobby Day, the more likely we are to advance legislation in the 2020 session. Location: Pocahantas Building (900 East Main Street) in Richmond.  The specific room will be announced soon.
RSVP: Participants can register by sending an e-mail to CompassionChoicesVA@gmail.com.  If you or your members have questions, feel free to call Cathy Casselman (260-602-9866, Action Team leader of Compassion & Choices NoVA) or Jud Richland (202-997-0255, Special Assistant to Del. Kory).

Sunday, February 2nd, 4:00pm - 6:00pm

Virginia Grassroots Coalition Meeting

Clarendon Presbyterian Church, 1305 N Jackson St, Arlington, VA 22201

RSVP here