Topics

Support an increased minimum wage, driver's licenses for the undocumented, and real reform of predatory lending (from Virginia Organizing) #Neededlegislation

Nancy Morgan, American Promise

Dear Nancy,

Today's a big day in the General Assembly and so is tomorrow! Committees will be hearing some of the most important bills we have been working on. Please contact your senator and delegate now to urge them to support an increased minimum wage, driver's licenses for the undocumented, and real reform of predatory lending.

We want to increase the minimum wage in Virginia to $15 per hour.

We support all of these bills:
  • SB73 (Sen. Locke) $10 minimum wage in 2020 moving to $15 by 2022.
  • SB7 (Sen. Saslaw) $10 minimum wage in 2020 moving to $15 by 2025.
  • HB395 (Del. Ward) $9 minimum wage in 2020 moving to $15 by 2023.
  • HB433 (Del. Carroll Foy) $9 minimum in 2021 moving to $15 in 2024. Adjusted yearly beginning in 2025 to keep pace with the Consumer Price Index.
  • HB325 (Del. Levine): Minimum wage; local alternative minimum wage. Higher than federal, applies to FLSA and public employees.
  • SB78 (Sen. Howell): Eliminates exception for people paid by the amount of work done from the right to a minimum wage.
  • HB583 (Del. Guzman): Eliminates exemption for farm laborers and farm employees from the right to a minimum wage.
If you call today, please take note of this message from our allies at the Virginia Poverty Law Center:

The Senate Commerce and Labor Committee is assessing whether to study SB 421, the Virginia Fairness in Lending Act. But a vote to study predatory loan reform is a vote to kill predatory loan reform.

We don't need a study to tell us 300% APRs are predatory. Urge the Senate Commerce and Labor Committee to vote NO on a study of SB 421, and to vote YES on SB 421.

Please call or email me if you have any questions.

Thank you for your work,

Brian Johns
434-984-4655 ext. 227
bjohns@...

p.s. There are several other bills we've been interested in coming before committees this week, too. Driver's licenses for undocumented folks, the Green New Deal, and the Environmental Justice Act all need our support, so check our legislative one-pager if you want more information and to make calls.

Virginia Organizing
703 Concord Avenue
Charlottesville, 22903
434-984-4655