Topics

Event: Conversation on Racial Gerrymandering with FairMapsVA Youth Leadership Team - Thursday, 20 August 2020 #cal-invite

main@VirginiaSwampBusters.groups.io Calendar <main@...>

Conversation on Racial Gerrymandering with FairMapsVA Youth Leadership Team

When:
Thursday, 20 August 2020
5:00pm to 6:00pm
(UTC-04:00) America/New York

Where:
Zoom

Organizer: Daela Taeoalii-Tipton daela.tipton@...

This is the 3rd and final week of New Voters Voting Yes to End Gerrymandering, a series put on by the Youth Leadership Team of FairMapsVA! This Thursday, we'll be discussing racial gerrymandering and the historic civil rights protections Amendment 1 will put into the Virginia Constitution.

This important conversation is about how our current redistricting process upholds racism within our democratic system, and what we can do about it. As the final event of this multi-week series, we have a challenge for you! Can you bring a friend (or 2 or 3) to join the conversation? Racism and gerrymandering go hand-in-hand, but this form of voter suppression is often left out of the mainstream conversation - it's up to us to expand that dialogue together.

Please, share this link with New Voters in your life excited to participate in the upcoming election and invite them to be part of a conversation about an issue on their ballot they might not even know is there! You can also share our event on Facebookrepost us on Instagram, and retweet us on Twitter

Register for the zoom link here:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYtcOmpqT4rGdV-U8v_JtUcMEySqPLlgwpq