Topics

Creating an Effective Ethics Regime in Virginia (shared by the Coalition for Integrity)

Nancy Morgan, American Promise

INTERESTING INITIATIVE AND THE STUDY ON ENTRY POINTS FOR ETHICS REFORM  IS QUITE THOUGHT PROVOKING.  THIS IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING THAT OUR GROUP SHOULD FOLLOW AND PROMOTE.

Dear Delegates and Senators:  As the new session of the General Assembly commences, we are writing to enlist your legislative efforts to reform Virginia’s ethics laws to create an effective ethics regime.  As members who sponsored HB 2380 in the last legislative session or those who accepted the Virginia Integrity Challenge in the course of your recent campaign, we know you are committed to improving the Virginia ethics agencies.

The attached memo sets out suggestions for creating an effective ethics regime in Virginia.  We realize that the General Assembly is swamped with legislative proposals and that ethics reform may have to wait in line.  But we hope that the General Assembly will address these issues, perhaps through a study committee, so that reform can be achieved as soon as possible.

We would be glad to answer any questions or provide additional information about the practices of other states.

With best wishes for a successful legislative session,

Laurie Sherman

Policy Advisor

Coalition for Integrity

202-589-1616